Wednesday, July 13, 2011

City Series, Birmingham, Alabama: Art on the Rocks

"Love the cigar box purse."  This was the first thing said to me when I arrived in Alabama, and I appreciated it!

My husband and I had driven from Atlanta to Birmingham in time to meet our friends (Melanie and Jon) at "Art on the Rocks," a self-described food/art/drinks/music/gallery tour event at the Birmingham Museum of Art.  

While we were waiting out front for our friends, a super-stylish guy gave me the compliment about my cigar box purse as he and his friends walked by.  I don't know about you, but a fashion compliment from a stranger always makes me feel like I am doing something right.

When we went inside, we started with drinks and appetizers in the presence of a large-scale installation of Chihuly glass called "Birmingham Persian Wall."  You can see it in the photo above - it's gorgeous!  Then we wandered down the hall to another open space in the gallery, tried more appetizers (fried okra!) and peeked in the museum store.  Then it was upstairs to see the museum's extensive Wedgewood collection.  We ended the night by listening to live music in the outdoor sculpture garden on a beautiful (but humid) Alabama night.  

For my first night in Alabama, how did I like it?  
5 stars! 

No comments: