Saturday, July 2, 2011

Pear in a Bottle

This is going to be way better than a message in a bottle!  I am experimenting with growing a real pear inside an empty bottle and I feel fairly certain it will work!

Inspired by a local winery that makes and sells pear brandy (with a real pear floating in the bottle), I am trying to grow a pear inside this bottle over the Summer.   My parents have a pear tree at the cottage and my dad figured out how to attach the bottle to the tree with a bent wire wrapped around the bottle and then made into a hook to suspend from a nearby branch - it's genius!  If you look closely, you can see the small pear growing inside the bottle, just below the wire wrap. 

When the pear is full grown and ripe, I will pull on the stem and let the pear be "picked," yet remain in the bottle.  Then I will fill the bottle with my own homemade Pear Brandy.  When it is time to harvest and decant, I will show you my progress and publish my pear brandy recipe.  I can't wait to see how it turns out. 

No comments: