Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Las Vegas: Border Grill

It was a lucky stroke.  And Vegas is all about luck, isn't it?  Dan wanted to go out for Mexican the third night of the conference and by doing an online search, I found Border Grill at Mandalay Bay.  When I clicked their menu and started reading about the restaurant, I quickly realized that this restaurant was owned by the 2 chefs (and lifelong friends) that I had come to admire on Top Chef Masters.  Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger are known for their gourmet Mexican classics and I found their restaurant by accident.  Hallelujah.

The chips and fresh salsas were very satisfying to munch on after a busy day.  The restaurant atmosphere was fun and lively - though a little loud for my taste.  Noise dampening tiles, maybe?  Can you see my orange tin purse?  I made it out of a Fauchon cookie tin!  I love a purse with a pop of color when I am out on the town. 

The menu was full of interesting choices.  My dinner was: Fish Tacos Ensenada: grilled sustainable fish, tomatillo, avocado crema, handmade corn tortillas, red rice, green rice, black beans was absolutely delicious.  The fish was hot and flaky.  The sides were fresh and flavorful.  I would return again and again.

Dan had Chicken Poblano Enchiladas: smoked chicken, handmade corn tortillas, poblano crema, grilled corn, wild mushrooms, charred poblano chiles and he said it was the best he'd ever had.

Thank you, Mary Sue and Susan!  We loved every bite and are so happy that we were able to try your cooking.   

No comments: