Friday, March 22, 2013

Mochi Set

This mochi set combines so many of the things I love (sugar, Japanese design, pretty packaging) and trumpets what I call "the power of cute."

It looks like Hello Kitty herself designed these sweet treats and put them in gingham check baking cups.  When I was at the Japanese department store, Shirokiya, at the  Ala Moana  shopping center in Honolulu, there were beautiful packages like this filling refrigerated cases. 

The store is a truly a department store (see map) filled with stations selling accessories, paper goods, electronics, cosmetics and then an unbelievable selection of freshly prepared hot and cold dishes.  I was marveling at the sheer number of employees required to staff each station. 
While I have never been to Japan, it is not hard to see what a treasure Shirokiya would be to the Japanese living and working in Hawaii.  Every where you look, an authentic taste of Japan is at your finger tips.

No comments: